Monday, March 28, 2011

Hope out of Tragedy

Hope is the belief in a positive outcome related to events and circumstances in one's life.
Hope is an amazing thing.


This past year has been one of loss for my family but also one of HOPE. In November, after a long bout with diabetes and other sicknesses, my auntie Anh left us to be with my uncle and cousin in heaven. In her hospital bed, one of her last wishes was to see my other cousin and I reconcile. It had been 5 long years of disconnect between us and in all honesty, I couldn't even remember why? We'd been inseparable since childhood and then in one swift moment, the magic was over. On that day in November, we promised my auntie to work on finding our way back to each other. And it has been a slow process but we are loving each other now like that 5 year absence never even happened. In her death, my auntie brought my cousin and I back together and re-introduced us to family friends that we'd missed over the years due to the hustle and bustle of life. Out of a tragic moment in our life, came HOPE.


On this past Monday, another family member passed. Although we were not related by blood, we were bonded by our history. Auntie Lynn was one of my mum and dad's best friends from the "old country" as my dad likes to say and I'd been calling her auntie for as long as I could remember. I grew up spending summers with her daughters playing and getting into trouble. Then time passed, and 10 years later, this past Christmas - I saw her for the 1st time again. All my childhood memories came rolling back and I had to smile at her when she didn't recognize me right away. She said I was all grown up now. I'm thankful that I had the chance to see her once more. Her passing re-introduced me again to family friends and reminded me of how important it is to take time out of our busy lives to reach out to those we love.


In the midst of the tragedy of my auntie Anh's passing in November, HOPE grew. For had she not brought my cousin and I back together, I would not have been at the party at Christmas to see Auntie Lynn. Had Auntie Lynn not passed, I would not have reconnected with cousins and friends from the past, HOPE grew.


Lesson # 4: Even in tragedy, there is HOPE. And HOPE is an amazing gift that should be nurtured and gifted to others....

No comments:

Post a Comment