Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Life as I Live It

Do you wake up some mornings and wonder how you got to this exact moment in your life? Well, I do - more often than I should. I imagine if I'd married that guy years ago, how my life would be so very different. Or if I'd focused more on college when I was younger, how I would have finished in my 20s instead of my 30s and where my professional career would be now. It's a moment where a series of emotions sweep over me -- regret, loss, laughter, happiness, sadness, wonder, tears......then snap....back to reality.

And the reality is that I am lucky. Lucky that I experienced (and survived) all the ups and downs of this thing called LIFE!  I've lost a lot - my mum, my innocence - but gained so much in return - independence, circle of amazing friends. Would I trade everything and anything to have my mum back?  Most definitely but in my heart I know that she has always been here. I feel her spirit in me and around me and even in my darkest moments, I take comfort in believing that she is holding my hand. And when I look in the mirror or hear kind words from friends, family or strangers, I relish in the knowledge that I am an extension of her and who I am is who she was.

Lesson # 1: Be thankful for your life's journey -- even in the midst of chaos, there is a reason for being.

No comments:

Post a Comment